Home
Literature Manuals Gallery Forum Resources

 Hall GTC Owners Forum
 

  If you have a Hall GTC motorhome, join our little community and introduce yourself.


It is currently November 24th, 2017, 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: September 4th, 2015, 12:11 pm 
Offline
GTC Owner
User avatar

Joined: May 10th, 2011, 8:46 am
Posts: 307
Just completed the removal of the original converter with a new Progressive Dynamics 45 amp converter and "Charge Wizard" controller. All I can say is Wow. Our original dinosaur electroncs converters weigh about 40 lbs and put out about 3 amps float "charge" @ 13.3 VDC, which leads to acid stratification and premature battery death. The DC output won't even keep up with demand when staying at an actual RV facility with the old units if you're using even the bare minimum of loads, whereas the new one does, and with plenty to spare. Not only that, but it weighs about 3 lbs.

I also found that the original DC cables connecting the converter to the batteries are crazily oversized for the load and poorly installed to boot. After removing the old unit and cleaning everything up a bit I preinstalled the new converter on the mounting platform, the new 6 circuit blade type fuse panel and the battery negative bussbar on the front of the platform. Because you can't get to the mounting screws on the converter when it's in place, pre-installation is the only feasable way to get the holes drilled for final assembly with a screwdriver, which isn't too hard a job.

Making the change allowed me to clean up and better fasten all the DC conductors than was possible in the original converter panel because of space limitations and too much stuff in the way. I was able to run the #2 bat negative directly to the new buss and then a # 6 (the correct size for the amperage) to the converter DC neg, but had to us a Kearny (split-bolt connector) for the bat positive. After tidying up I cut a protective panel form heavy cardboard and installed it in front of the DC installtion, which allows me to continue using the area in front for storage.

When you have the time and inclination to do it, this is an excellent upgrade that pays for itself by not needing to prematurely replace house batteries.


Attachments:
converter1.jpg
converter1.jpg [ 96.35 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
converter2.jpg
converter2.jpg [ 89.1 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
POWERED_BY

Copyright © , Nick's Garage, all rights reserved.